BORNO STATE MINISTRY OF HIGHER EDUCATION, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION
The Prof Babagana Umara led Government of Borno State created the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation on recognizing Science and Technology as drivers of socio-economic growth of Nigeria and an important determinant of pre-industries to knowledge based societies.
The ministry was created to achieve an enhanced, efficient and effective teaching-learning in the state tertiary institutions. The ministry is saddled with responsibility of supervision, control, coordination and management of the state tertiary institutions as well as the supervision and awarding scholarship to Borno State indigenes. The Ministry is also responsible for creating an enabling policy environment for Science, Technology and Innovation and develop articulated policy for the State.
To make Borno State one of the academically, scientifically and technologically developed states in Nigeria.
To fast track, the socio-economic development of the state through the development and deployment of academic excellence, science and technology.
The proposed functions of the Department of Higher Education of the Ministry include the following:
- To identify policy consideration on higher Education, specifying the significance thereof, and making recommendations thereon to the State Government.
- To facilitate and coordinate the execution of all state’s policies and programs on Higher Education.
- To prepare an annual budget for the state tertiary institutions and see to its proper implementation.
- To supervise the revenue and expenditure of the state tertiary institutions.
- To monitor and oversee the affairs of all tertiary institutions in the state. thus, refer to all state owned institutions pursing post-secondary education.
- To see the proper procedures of appointment of heads of the state tertiary institutions in accordance with the edict establishing them.
- To assist State’s tertiary institutions to secure accreditation with relevant bodies such as the NUC, NCCE and NBTE; and to establish linkage programs with other institutions of higher learning in Nigeria and abroad.
- To liaise with the related federal, state and other Donor Agencies on matters pertaining to Higher Education. i.e ETF, USAID, UNICEF, PTDF etc.
- To oversee the payment/disbursement of scholarship to Borno state indigenes in institutions of higher learning within and out-side the country.
- To organize stakeholders’ meetings, workshops and seminars on various aspects of Higher Education.
- To monitor admissions and areas of specialization of Borno State indigenes in Federal and state institutions of Higher learning with a view to meeting the manpower needs/requirement of the state.
- To provide manpower, training/retraining, recruitment and discipline of staff of the state tertiary institutions.
- To inspect, license, register and accredit all private Higher Institutions that offers Diploma/certificate courses in the state.
- To sponsor and encourage academic and non-academic staff of the State Tertiary institutions to undergo further studies/training.
- To inspect programs and performance of staff and students for the purpose of enhancing academic excellence and discipline.
- To ensure stocking of an up to date library books, equipment and facilities for the State Library Board and liaise with relevant donor agencies for assistance.
- Oversee the programme of the mass and non-formal education sector.
The proposed functions of the Department of Science, Technology and Innovation of the Ministry include the following:
- To utilize modern technology for the effective management of Government business particularly in the areas of operational activities, revenue generation and electronic information dissemination.
- To establish and maintain mechanism for empowering youths in skill acquisition, entrepreneurial development and vocational/technical trainings.
- Promote and harness science and Technology research for socio-economic development, job and wealth creation in the state.
- To effectively manage the State’s owned Computerization Projects.
- Provision of high level manpower and the acquisition of advanced skills and knowledge that could tailor utmost needs of the state at the Tertiary Level of Education.
- Initiate, formulate, execute, monitor and evaluate policies relating to Higher Education, Science & Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
- Automation and reengineering of government business processes & harmonization of all existing ICT assets in the light of global best practices including state data.
- Provision and maintenance of ICT services across Ministries, Departments &Agencies (MDAs) of Government
- Development of Science, Technology Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) education as well as setting up ICT Centre for state schools.
- STEM& ICT capacity building across all MDAs.
- Conducting and Coordination Research as well as funding of strategic research proposals from individuals and institutions for the promotion of innovation, research & development in Science & ICT.
- Provision and maintenance of urban Street lighting.
- Provision of advisory & consultancy services for all MDAs on Science & ICT.
- Special projects/assignments as may be assigned by the Governor of Borno State.
- Provision of support to all Science, Vocational and Technical Institutions at all levels.
STRUCTURE OF THE MINISTRY
a. POLITICAL STRUCTURE
Honourable Commissioner will be the head of the Ministry
b. TECHNICAL STRUCTURE
Permanent Secretary will be the technical head and accounting officer of the Ministry
- HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT (Admin and Supplies)
- FINANCE AND ACCOUNTS
- ENERGY TECHNOLOGY
- PLANNING, RESEARCH AND STATISTICS
- ENERGY TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
- SCIENCE, INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
- SPECIAL EDUCATION
- SKILLS, INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP DEVELOPMENT.